A very warm welcome and a big hello! Asthis is my first blog post for the lovely folks at Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel and Chalets, I thought we’d begin with an introduction;
I’m Emma Smith, the Editor and creator of local wedding blog, The Promise NI. Each day. I’m lucky enough to share beautiful Irish weddings, inspiration and amazing wedding suppliers who help make our weddings amongst the best in the world. The wedding team at the Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel and Chalets have kindly asked me to share some of the wonders of Fermanagh weddings - which I am very excited about!
Although I’m a born and bred Tyrone girl, Fermanagh was never far from our family life. My dad was born in Enniskillen and lived in Irvinestown during his childhood, so many of our outings were spent heading back to catch up with family and explore the gems on offer. From skimming stones at the edge of Upper Lough Erne to exploring the Marble Arch Caves, Fermanagh was one big adventure. Still as a grown up with kids of my own, I head back to Drumbulcan to see family, keeping the Fermanagh connection very much alive.
Way before you walk up the aisle, or even choose your gown one thing happens, a very special moment between you and your other half, the proposal. Being asked to dedicate and share your life with your closest friend is a pretty epic time. If you’re looking for the perfect place to ask that very important question, let us guide you to five romantic spots in this beautiful county.
1. A sunset proposal in the gardens of Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel, overlooking the Lough: Let us help plan your perfect proposal, after all, our expert wedding planning team are award winning! The romantic air of our beautiful gardens and terraces are the ideal intimate location to get down on one knee. Why not complete your visit by relaxing in our Elemis Spa with a couples treatment ahead of dinner in Kove Restaurant.
2. An adventurous walk up Magho Cliffs: Get your hiking boots on and make the 700ft climb to the top of the Magho Cliffs. From the top your viewpoint over Lough Navar will certainly make memories with views stretching for miles over the islands in Lough Erne, to the Blue Stack Mountains of County Donegal, and on a very clear day the Slieve League in southwest Donegal, around 36 miles away. What better place to askyour life-changing question?
3. Trace your Fermanagh roots and breath in the history at Enniskillen Castle: Situated inland, in the centre of Enniskillen beside the River Erne, Enniskillen Castle has stood for almost 600 years and was built by the then ruling Gaelic Maguires. The historic site houses two museums, Fermanagh County Museum and The Inniskillings Museum. Find a Medieval nook and mark the occasion with a diamond! Exciting development works are taking place throughout 2016 so be prepared for some areas to be closed.
4. Take in a boat trip to Devenish Island: If you’d prefer to be on the water, a boat trip on the MV Kestrel from the Round O in Enniskillen is a great idea. Devenish Monastic Site was founded in the 6th century by Saint Molaise. During its history it has been raided by Vikings, burned and flourished as a parish church site and St Mary’s Augustine Priory.The ruins will mark a distinctive backdrop for your surprise.
5. A romantic visit to Crom Estate: One of the most beautiful locations to take in the views of Upper Lough Erne, Crom Estate is a 2,000 acre demesne surrounded by tranquil islands and ancient woodlands. After your idyllic dander take in the sights from one of the best vantage points, on board one of the Estates boats, which you can hire! You can top your event off by staying longer in one of the holiday cottages or in their new glamping pods.Wherever you decide to declare your love, make it in Memorable Fermanagh!
Image credits: Magho Cliffs:www.garethmccormack.com Enniskillen Castle:www.waterways-forward.eu Devenish Islands:www.lakeisleretreats.com Crom Estate